4th Hellenic AeroPress Contest will be hosted at ACF 2019kkokkinou
Athens Coffee Festival welcomes for the first time the most innovative coffee contest, supporting breakthrough ideas in the coffee industry.
Another important coffee-based event will be hosted by the 4th Athens Coffee Festival, enriching even more the impressive program of special events that professional and consumers, who will visit the festival, can engaged. More specifically, the 4th Hellenic AeroPress Championship, organized by the well-known coffee company Kudu Coffee Roasters, will take place on Monday 30th September in Technopolis. From 12 to 8 o’clock in the evening, 72 baristas will give their “battle”, with the winner representing Greece at the AeroPress World Championship to be held in London in November 2019.
The AeroPress is a device for brewing coffee. Coffee is steeped for 20 seconds and then forced through a filter by pressing the plunger through the tube. The filters used are either the AeroPress paper filters or disc shaped thin metal filters. The maker describes the result as an espresso strength concentration of coffee, but its most frequent use is more in the filter brew strength.
- AeroPress World Championship was created in 2008 by Tim Wendelboe and Tim Varney and since then it has become one of the most exciting and unique competition platforms in the coffee industry. Only three baristas participated at the first contest that was organized. Eleven years later, at 2019, the competition has grown big with entries from 51 countries and a total of a thousand contestants.
- In Greece this year is being held for the 4th time and is the first time that it is hosted by Athens Coffee Festival. The winner of the title for 2018 is Manos Mamakis who, after his victory, represented Greece at the World Contest in Sydney.
- The title can be claimed by both professional barista and amateurs.
- Regarding the rules, these are simple. The judges (7 in all) will evaluate blindly, based solely on the taste and best way of extracting with AeroPress. Through an open and transparent competition, the aim is to show the different techniques offered by using AeroPress.
- The judges are top names and significant experts in the coffee industry. Particularly, they are: Thanasis Nikolis (Head Roaster at KUDU Coffee Company), Stefanos Domatiotis (World Brewers Cup Champion (2014), Gem Series Founder, Brand Global Ambassador of Brewista, Taf Head Barista Trainer, Jass Caffee Coffee Quality China), Kostas Kalafatas (Owner of Coffee Company Samba Cafe), Christos Kavrakos (Co-owner of Mind the Cup and Peek a Bloom), Antzaras Nikos (Head Roaster at Samba Cafe), Konstantopoulos Dimitris (Barista Trainer Kawacom, Hellenic CiGS Champion 2013), Lambrinidis Stavros (Area Manager at Development department of Vivartia).